Skip to main content


man hold set of keys in a boxed up house.The Probate Department in Multnomah County handles all estates, adult and minor guardianships, conservatorships, and trust cases.

An estate case (“probate”) is the method by which the property of a deceased person is transferred to others after locating assets and paying debts. Sometimes, property can be transferred without a full probate estate proceeding through what is called an “Affidavit of Claiming Successor” or “Small Estate Affidavit.” Depending on the circumstances of the decedent (deceased person), you may have the option of filing the Small Estate rather than the full estate. Court staff is not permitted to offer you advice on which option applies to the circumstances of the decedent. A licensed attorney is the best resource for helping you determine the right course of action.

A protective proceeding is similar to an estate case, but is used for a living person who can no longer manage their medical or financial decision-making. If you think a family member or friend is in need of a protective proceeding, please consider contacting an attorney.

On the next page you will find answers to some of the Probate Department’s most frequently-asked questions

Additional Resources

Listed below are links to educational materials that may be of assistance to you:


Your browser is out-of-date! It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how