Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Oregon Judicial Department Logo

Name and/or Gender Identity Change

You can come to court to change your name and/or gender identity. There is also an administrative process through Vital Statistics where you can change your sex (and name) without coming to court.

The Family Law department acknowledges that the current Statewide Identity Change form uses the term “sex" rather than the term “gender identity," and that the terms “sex" and “gender identity" are two different concepts and that a change of “gender identity" more accurately reflects the legal change sought.  However, because the pertinent statute uses the word “sex," the court's form must align with the verbiage in the statute.