Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Oregon Judicial Department Logo

Civil Law

Gavel leaning on law book

Civil Case Unit
Phone: 503-655-8447 Option 5

Family Law Self Help Appointment Line: 971-396-0560

Monday through Friday, excluding legal holidays:

Public Counter

9 am - 4 pm


8 am - 4 pm


807 Main Street, Room 104
Oregon City, Oregon 97045

Drop Box – Room 104, 8 am – 5 pm

 Case Types

The Civil Case Unit takes in filings and processes pleadings for the following:
  • Civil
  • Domestic relations;
  • Remedial Contempt;
  • Mental health;
  • Name change and/or sex change; and
  • Restraining orders.


Information from Court Staff

Click here for more information about what court staff can and cannot do to assist you.


Visit the “Court Forms” page.  

If you are seeking to change your name and/or sex, or the name of a minor, please refer to our Forms section where you will find instructions and forms that may assist you in pursuing your request.

Filing Fees

Fees for civil cases are due at the time of filing your papers. If you cannot pay the fee at the time of filing, you may apply for a fee deferral/waiver. If the fee deferral/waiver is granted, collections of those fees are the same as any other monetary obligation. For additional information, please go to the Collections Page.

Where to File

Electronic Filing

Anyone may register to use the electronic filing system and become an authorized filer. Pursuant to UTCR 21.140, an active member of the Oregon State Bar must file documents using the electronic filing system, instead of conventional filing, unless:

Conventionally Filed Documents

Self-represented litigants may choose to electronically file their documents, or alternatively, may file them conventionally. Conventional filing is a process where a filer files the paper document with the court, whether that is at the filing counter, through the mail, or dropped off at the courts “Drop Box”. Please do not send original documents directly to the judge's office. Please file the original document in the Civil Case Unit office (Room 104 of the Courthouse). Options for conventionally filing are:

  • Mail – to Clackamas County Court, 807 Main Street, Room 104, Oregon City, OR 97045
  • Civil Filing Window – Room 104 of the Courthouse 
  • Drop Box - The "Drop Box", which is located on the "Employee Only" door to Room 104, may be used to submit pleadings, other documents for filing, and payments anytime during regular courthouse hours. Any filing and payment placed in the "Drop Box" no later than 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding legal holidays, will be date stamped and deemed received and filed on that day.

Ex Parte

There is one time a day when you may take motions and proposed orders to a courtroom to see if a judge will sign them. This is called Ex-parte. In Clackamas County Circuit Court, Ex-parte is at 1:00 pm Monday through Friday, except court holidays. Ex-parte lasts for 15 minutes; therefore, it is very important that you are in the court early. Refer to SLR 5.061 for additional information.

 Service of Process

If you will be asking the Clackamas County Sheriff's Office to serve your documents, they have asked that we share the following with you:
In order to serve your process to the right person, and in the event that enforcement action is needed at any point in your case, please note that on advice from counsel, the address you provide must be precise. To ensure you use the most accurate information, use this website to determine the correct address:

Civil Motions Guidelines

The Civil Motions Panel of the Clackamas County Circuit Court is a group of judges including pro tem judges who hear and decide regularly scheduled motions that are not assigned to a specific judge. Periodically, the judges confer regarding their prior rulings and have developed a consensus over time on particular issues.
This Statement does not have the force of law or court rule and the statements are not binding on any judge. The following is not a predetermination of any question presented on the merits to a judge in a particular action. The statement may be of assistance in guiding practitioners as to anticipated rulings on a specific question and may eliminate the time and expense of presenting the issues to the Court.