Skip to main content

Traffic Violations

​Marion County Circuit Court is one of three courts in Marion County that handle traffic violations. Our traffic department is located at our Criminal Court Annex at 4000 Aumsville Highway SE, Salem, OR 97317.

Traffic offenses are violations not a crime. As such, you do not have the same rights as a criminal defendant. If you plead or are found guilty the court is mandated to impose a fine and may reduce the fine by no more than 50 percent. The following briefly explains these choices and their possible consequences:

  1. No Contest or Guilty - Depending upon your driving record; your fine might be reduced by up to 50 percent. Your plea will be taken by the Violations Bureau clerk and you will not go before the judge. If you are unable to pay the fine completely at one time, the court will, in most cases, allow you to make regular, periodic payments toward the fine.
  2. Traffic Safety Diversion Program - You MUST be eligible (explained below) to be allowed to take part in the Diversion Program. If you are eligible, you may file an application to enter a no contest plea and enter diversion.
  3. Pleading Not Guilty - You may choose to either have a trial in person, or by declaration. If you choose an in-person trial, you will be mailed a new court date. At this court date both you and the office will present your evidence to a judge, and the judge will make a decision on your case. If you choose trial by declaration, you and the office will both fill out a declaration. Once both declarations are received, a judge will review them and make a decision. If you decide you want to go before the judge, you should understand that they will not have the discretion to reduce your fine by more than 50 percent, and may sentence you to the maximum fine, which is higher than that listed on your citation.

Where do I take care of a parking ticket?

The Circuit Court is a state court and parking tickets are issued by city or municipal courts. You will need to contact the municipal court in the city that issued the ticket. Oregon State Parks do file parking citations with our Traffic Department which is located at the Circuit Court Annex, 4000 Aumsville Hwy SE Salem, OR 97317.

​Please consult the Traffic Safety Diversion Information for more complete details about the program, whether or not you are eligible, and requirements for the program.

How to Apply

To apply for traffic safety diversion, please download and fill out:  Traffic Safety Diversion Application and Order (This document requires a notary. Court clerks may act in this capacity if the document is filed in person at the court.)

You also need to select a traffic school class from EITHER provider below:

UTurn 180 Registration (online or classroom setting)

NTSI Registration Form (online)

After you have filled out both forms, please mail copies to:

Marion County Circuit Court
c/o Violations Bureau
P.O. Box 12869
Salem, OR 97309

If you do not have an Oregon driver's license and would like to apply, please submit a copy of your DMV driving record with your application. At the end of the 120-day period, the court will require a new copy of your DMV driving record to verify no new offenses.

You may pay your ticket in person at either:

Marion County Court Annex
4000 Aumsville Hwy SE
Salem, OR 97317

Marion County Courthouse
100 High St NE
Salem, OR 97301

You make check an option on the bottom or back of your ticket and mail payment to:

Marion County Circuit Court
Attn: Traffic
PO BOX 12869
Salem, OR 97309

Please make checks payable to:

The State of Oregon

Or Online.

Your browser is out-of-date! It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how