Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Oregon Judicial Department Logo


Image of a divorce decree paper with gavelA divorce legally ends a marriage or a Registered Domestic Partnership (RDP). In Oregon divorce is called "dissolution of marriage." A dissolution of marriage or a RDP is started when one spouse or partner files a petition for dissolution. The spouse or partner who files the petition is called the petitioner. The other spouse or partner is called the respondent. Both parties can file a joint petition, in which case they are co-petitioners. If there are children involved, the petitioner also must file a certificate regarding pending child support proceedings and existing support orders and a Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA) declaration. The UCCJEA declaration must list any pending custody or parenting time proceedings and where the children have lived for the last five years. This information can be included in the petition or filed as a separate document. Other documents may be required during the case if Respondent files a response. Note: The laws about dissolving same-sex marriages and/or partnerships are rapidly changing and there may be changes in the near future to forms and procedures. If you are seeking information about this area of law, check the Oregon Judicial Department website for updates and speak to a lawyer.



Links to OJD statewide family law forms for: