Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Oregon Judicial Department Logo



The Civil Unit is located in Room 135 at the courthouse.

Civil law includes statutes and case law that define or interpret individual's and organization's private rights, in their relationships and disputes that involve property, contracts, personal injury, family relationships, tax, or government rules and regulations.

Numerous civil matters come before the Court. Because of the number of possible civil actions and the potential complexity of each, it is strongly recommended that you consult an attorney before commencing legal action concerning civil matters.


In all civil cases, arbitration is mandatory for any claim of less than $50,000 and the referral will be coordinated by the court clerk.

Arbitration is a fast way to get a decision when you are in a dispute. Arbitration is like a trial but less formal. In arbitration, two sides present their evidence to an arbitrator. The arbitrator decides who wins and who loses. An arbitrator does the job that a judge or jury would normally do in court.


Arbitrator Selection List

Reference Judge List

Application to Become an Arbitrator

Name and Sex Changes

You must be a resident of Yamhill County to petition for name change and/or sex change in Yamhill County.

Oregon law provides a process whereby a person may change their name and/or sex and receive a decree from the court officially recording the changes. The following name change forms are specific to Yamhill Circuit Court.