The Oregon Judicial Department has adopted a procedure providing for prompt and equitable resolution of complaints by the public alleging Judicial Department discrimination on the basis of disability in violation of the U.S. Department of Justice regulations implementing Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act. This Procedure has been developed to comply with 28 CFR 35.107(b).
1. Complaints alleging discrimination by the Judicial Department or its employees on the basis of an individual's disability should:
a. Be filed within 180 days of the alleged violation;
b. Be filed in writing, dated and signed by the individual alleging discrimination or that individual's authorized representative (upon request other reasonable accommodation in filing a complaint will be made);
c. Contain the name and address of the individual (and representative, if used) filing it; and
d. Describe briefly, but with sufficient detail, the circumstances of the alleged violation of the regulations.
2. Complaints should be filed with Lane County Circuit Court. Send your complaint to:
Trial Court Administrator
Lane County Circuit Court
125 East 8th Ave
Eugene, OR 97401
All complainants will notified in writing by the above named person of the receipt of the complaint.
3. An investigation, as may be appropriate, shall follow filing of a complaint. An investigation will be informal but will afford the complainant and the representatives, if any, an opportunity to submit information or evidence relevant to the complaint.
4. A written determination as to the validity of the complaint and a description of the resolution, if any, shall be issued and a copy forwarded to the complainant no later than 60 days after its filing.
5. The local administrative authority shall maintain the files and records relating to complaints filed for a period of three years.
6. A complainant can request a reconsideration in instances where he or she is dissatisfied with the written determination or resolution. The request for reconsideration should be made within 45 days of issuance of the written determination and filed with:
State Court Administrator ADA Coordinator
c/o Court Research and Services Division
Office of the State Court Administrator
Supreme Court Building
1163 State Street
Salem, OR 97310
503.986.5500 or 503.986.5504/TDD
All complainants will be notified in writing by the above named person of the receipt of the complaint.
7. A written response on the request for reconsideration shall be issued and a copy forwarded to the complainant no later than 45 days after its receipt.
8. The Office of the State Court Administrator shall maintain the files and records relating to any request for reconsideration filed for a period of three years.
9. Use of the Judicial Department grievance procedure in no way impairs an individual's pursuit of other remedies under the ADA such as filing an ADA complaint with the responsible federal department, agency, or court.