Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Oregon Judicial Department Logo

Civil Fees

Civil Filing Fees

Civil fees are due at the time of filing your papers and are not refundable. If you cannot pay the fee at the time of filing, you may apply for a fee deferral/waiver. If the fee deferral is granted, collections of those fees are the same as any other monetary obligation. ORS 21.100. Please visit the Oregon Judicial Department's State Court Filing and Other Fees site for more information.

Trial Fees

In any civil action, suit or proceeding other than a protective proceeding or a probate, adoption or change of name proceeding, trials fees shall be collected. The amount of the fee for the first day of trial shall be collected in advance and is due and payable when the action, suit or proceeding is set for trial. The amount of the fee for subsequent days of trial shall be collected on the day the trial concludes. ORS 21.225

Refund of Trial Fees

A refund of trial fees may be refunded to the party that paid the fee if all claims in the action or proceeding are decided without the commencement of a trial and the party that paid the fee files a motion and affidavit requesting refund of the fee not more than 15 days after entry of judgment disposing of the action or proceeding. ORS 21.225

Fee Waiver or Fee Deferral

A request for a waiver or deferral of a fee needs to be submitted for review to accounting staff, room 135, 535 NE 5th Street, McMinnville, Oregon, before 11:30 A.M. on the same day that you are filing your court documents.
If the accounting staff are unable to authorize a fee waiver or deferral then your request may be reviewed by a judge who will make the decision on your request for a fee waiver or fee deferral. These matters are called ex-parte and are heard by a judge once a day, Monday through Friday at 1:15 p.m.  New filings (Protective Orders, Name Changes, etc.) should be filed with the court by 11:00 a.m. daily to allow staff time to prepare paperwork by 1:15 p.m.
If your fees are waived there will be no charge. If the staff or judge decides you do not meet the minimum requirements for a fee waiver, but you are entitled to a fee deferral then you will need to complete a minimum Payment Plan Agreement.

Refunds or Overpayment

All refunds and overpayments will be in the form of a state issued check and may take up to 30 days after monies have been received by the court.