Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Oregon Judicial Department Logo

Criminal Cases

How to obtain a Court Appointed Attorney

You may be entitled to a Court Appointed Attorney at public expense if you qualify as an indigent person and have been charged with a crime for which you may be sentenced to jail or prison if convicted. An indigent person is one who cannot hire an attorney without causing substantial hardship to himself/herself or dependent family. In addition, a court appointed attorney may be requested in a juvenile dependency (abuse or neglect), termination of parental rights, or juvenile delinquency proceedings. Persons who are involved in a civil proceeding, such as a divorce, personal injury, landlord/tenant or employment cases are not eligible for legal representation at state expense. 
If you have been charged with a crime, you may request Court Appointed Attorney at your first court appearance.  If you qualify, an attorney will be appointed for you.  There is typically a $20 application fee, dependent upon financial eligibility, plus any contribution amounts that may be applicable. If you are convicted of a crime, the court may require you to repay some or all of the cost of your Court Appointed Attorney if it determines you are able.

Deschutes County Court Appointed Attorney Firms

Deschutes Defenders
215 NW Greenwood Ave.
Bend, OR 97701
Bend Attorney Group
(Call for assigned attorney’s address and phone number)
Atlas Law Group
40 NW Greenwood Suite 100
Bend, OR 97703

Court Ordered DUII and Marijuana Evaluation

Central Oregon Evaluation Services
1045 NW Bond St. Suite 207,
Bend, OR 97701

Set aside (expungement) of arrest and criminal court records

To have your record set aside (expunged) you must file legal documents with the Court and the District Attorney's office. You can contact an attorney or file the forms yourself. The Deschutes County District Attorney’s website provides information on the proper procedures to follow when requesting records be set aside (expunged). You can access this information at:  You may access the appropriate forms packet here: