Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Oregon Judicial Department Logo

Protection Orders

Obtaining a Protective Order in Washington County

You can petition to obtain a protective order by completing the available forms and filing them either in person or through electronic submission. Hearings for all types of protective orders (excluding Stalking Orders) are held at 1:00PM every day that the Court is open.

Your completed paperwork must be received by the Court no later than 10:30AM and you must appear the same day for 1:00PM hearing or your restraining order will be denied. Regardless of how you chose to complete and file, if you file a petition after 10:30AM you must appear the next day for a 1:00 PM hearing or your restraining order will be denied.

Forms are located in the Forms Center and are also available in Family Law Assistance Program office, Room 105J, Justice Services Building, 150 North 1st Avenue, Hillsboro, OR 97124. If you need assistance determining which Protective Order to apply for please use the link below downloads the Oregon Civil Restraining Orders Comparison chart from Oregon Civil Protection Order Comparison Chart

An Extreme Risk Protection Order (ERPO) is a court order that prevents a person who is at risk of hurting another person or of committing suicide from having or getting deadly weapons, including firearms.

ERPO information and forms

Family Abuse Prevention Act Restraining Orders (FAPA) are intended to provide for protection from abuse by family, household members, or someone with whom you have had a sexual relationship. The abuse must have been committed within the last 180 days unless the abuser has been incarcerated or has lived more than 100 miles from you. If you are 65 years of age or older or a person with disabilities, you may be eligible for an Elderly Persons and Persons with Disabilities Abuse Prevention Act Restraining Order (EPPDAPA).

How to obtain a Restraining Order

A person may obtain a restraining order under the Family Abuse Prevention Act if he or she has been the subject of abuse and qualifies under Oregon law. Forms and instructions for obtaining a restraining order are available under Self Help – Forms. They can be obtained from the Domestic Violence Resource Center at the Family Justice Center located at 735 SW 158th Avenue, Beaverton, Oregon 97006, or at the Family Law Assistance Program located in the courthouse in room 120J.

The Family Justice Center is a collaboration of agencies dedicated to providing support and hope to those impacted by family violence. Besides assisting with forms they will have many other agencies and services available to victims of domestic violence. The phone number for the Family Justice Center is 503-430-8300. The website for the Domestic Violence Resource Center is

If you choose to come to the court and file for a Restraining Order it is recommended that you arrive at the Family Law Assistance Office no later than 9:30 a.m. to complete your paperwork and see the judge the same afternoon. Services are provided on a first-come, first-served basis. You will need to bring photo ID.

The phone number for the restraining order office at Washington County Cicuit Court is: 503-846-8888 Option #3, 1​, 2.


Watch these informative videos from our Domestic Relations Judge Keith Raines.


Obtaining a Temporary Restraining Order in Washington County, Oregon
Preparing for Your Contested Protective Order Hearing in Washington County, Oregon


Obtener una Orden de Restricción Temporal en el Condado de Washington, Oregon
La Audiencia para Disputar una Orden de Restricción en el Condado de Washington County, Oregon

What is a Stalking Protective Order?

A Stalking Protective Order is a court order that tells a person who has made unwanted contact with you or a member of your immediate family or household to stop this behavior.

What are the Requirements for Getting a Stalking Protective Order?

To get a Stalking Protective Order (SPO) under Oregon law, you or a member of your immediate family or household must have been contacted two separate times within the past two years. The law says stalking is:

  • repeated and unwanted contact that is alarming (causes fear) or coercive (forceful) to you; and
  • it is reasonable for you to feel alarmed or coerced; and
  • the contacts cause you to reasonably fear for your physical safety or the physical safety of your household or family.

Stalking information and forms