Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Oregon Judicial Department Logo

Family Court

​Family Abuse Prevention Act (FAPA) Restraining Order

Intended to provide for protection from abuse by family, household members, or someone with whom you have had a sexual relationship. The abuse must have been committed within the last 180 days.

​Elderly Persons and Persons with Disabilities Abuse Prevention Act (EPPDAPA)

​​​If you are 65 years or age or older and not a resident of a long-term care facility or a person with disabilities, you may be eligible for this restraining order. A restraining order is an order of the court that restricts the person named in the order to stop threatening or abusing and to stay away from you.

Sexual Abuse Protective Order (SAPO)​

Available in certain cases where a person was subjected to unwanted sexual abuse by another person who is not a family member or intimate partner.

Stalking Protective Order

You can get a Stalking Protective Order if you and/or a member of your immediate family or household are being stalked. Stalking is usually characterized by a pattern of intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly alarming or coercing another person, or engaging in unwanted and repeated contact.

If you need assistance getting a Protective Order, please contact: Marta’s House at 541-884-0390.

Protective Order forms

​Mediation is an opportunity for the parties to settle custody and parenting time issues out of court instead of going to trial and asking a judge to make these decisions. The mediator is a neutral person who helps guide settlement discussions, provides information, and writes down agreements. There is no fee for court-ordered mediation.​

Mediation is mandatory in all contested custody and parenting time cases unless waived by a judge. Family abuse restraining order cases are exempt by law. Parties should notify the mediator if domestic violence is an issue in the case.

Before mediation sessions can begin, parties must watch the Mediation Orientation Video.

Child support is money regularly paid by a parent to help support a child. The court can order child support to be paid. Instructions to complete child support calculations are available from the Family Law Facilitator.

Child support calculator

If you have an Order or Judgment to pay Child Support from the Department of Justice Child Support Program you wish to appeal, use the Appeal of Administrative Order Of Child Support.

Family Law cases include divorce, separation, child custody, and modification cases involving child custody, parenting time, and child support.

A trial is the litigant’s opportunity to present information to a judge who will decide the issues in dispute when the parties cannot settle them on their own. Parties can call witnesses and provide other evidence for the judge to consider. ​

In any domestic relations case, a non-custodial parent shall have the right to parenting time with the minor children of the parties according to the Klamath County Standard Local​ and Long Distance​​​ parenting plans. If the parties agree, something similar can be used instead.

The purpose of the Family Law Facilitation program is to help self-represented litigants with family law cases such as divorce, custody and parenting time matters. This program is to help provide public access to the court system. The Family Law Facilitator (FLF) can inform self-represented litigants of court procedures and available court forms, review documents and provide information about legal services and other resources available in the community.

Please be aware that FLF staff may also assist the opposing party. Any meetings or conversations you have with the FLF staff are not confidential. Facilitators and court staff cannot give legal advice or help with legal strategy. You are encouraged to consult with an attorney for legal advice.

Other Resources