Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Oregon Judicial Department Logo

Family Law

Family Resource Center

The purpose of the Family Resource Center (FRC) is to help the increasing number of self-represented litigants with family law cases such as divorce, custody, parenting time, restraining orders, protective orders for the elderly and disabled, civil stalking orders, and sexual abuse protective orders. The program is part of a state-wide effort to improve the accessibility of the court system to the public. A family court specialist can inform self-represented litigants of court procedures and available court forms, review documents, and provide information about legal services and other resources available in the community.

Please be aware that FRC staff may also assist the opposing party. Any meetings or conversations you have with FRC staff are not confidential. A family court specialist is not an attorney and cannot give legal advice or help with legal strategy. You are encouraged to consult with an attorney for legal advice concerning your case.

Family Law cases include divorce, separation, child custody, and modification cases involving child custody, parenting time, and child support. There is generally a fee for filing these types of cases.

Arbitration is mandatory in domestic relations cases in which the only contested issue is the division or other disposition of property. Parties must compensate the arbitrator and pay reasonable expenses of arbitration. Unless otherwise agreed by the parties or extraordinary conditions justify a different fee, the maximum arbitration fee for a two-party case is $600.

The court requires parties to complete a parent education class in all contested domestic relations cases involving child custody or parenting time. Parenting education class “Children in the Middle” to obtain class dates and to register please contact Family Resource Center at 503-842-2596, Option 3.

Mediation is an opportunity for the parties to settle custody and parenting time issues out of court instead of going to trial and asking a judge to make these decisions. The mediator is a neutral person who helps guide settlement discussions, provides information, and writes down agreements. There is no fee for court-ordered mediation.

Mediation is mandatory in all contested custody and parenting time cases unless waived by a judge. Family abuse restraining order cases are exempt by law. Parties should notify the mediator if domestic violence is an issue in the case.

Domestic Relations Mediation Orientation Video which is required viewing prior to attending Child Custody and Parenting Time Mediation:

In any domestic relations case, a non-custodial parent shall have the right to parenting time with the minor children of the parties according to the Basic Parenting Plan. If the parties agree, an Expanded Parenting Plan or something similar can be used instead. See Basic Parenting Plan and Expanded Parenting Plan.

Child support is money regularly paid by a parent to help support a child. The court can order child support to be paid. Oregon has guidelines for calculating support. Go to the guidelines calculator.

Tillamook County Circuit Court offers two different kinds of trials in family law cases, an Informal Domestic Relations Trial (IDRT) and a traditional trial. The IDRT is a simpler procedure for people without lawyers, although lawyers also may use it. The Court offers IDRT because traditional trials require parties to follow the rules of evidence and the court rules, which can be more difficult for people without lawyers. In IDRTs, the judge asks the questions and the parties can give the judge written statements from witnesses. The judge will decide how much weight to give to the evidence.

In a traditional trial, the parties call witnesses to the stand and ask them questions. Questions must comply with the rules of evidence. Written statements usually are not allowed.

More information on IDRTs

IDRT Statewide Brochure

Family Abuse Prevention Act (FAPA) Restraining Order

Intended to provide for protection from abuse by family, household members, or someone with whom you have had a sexual relationship. The abuse must have been committed within the last 180 days.

Elderly Persons and Persons with Disabilities Abuse Prevention Act (EPPDAPA)

If you are 65 years or age or older and not a resident of a long-term care facility or a person with disabilities, you may be eligible for this restraining order. A restraining order is an order of the court that restricts the person named in the order to stop threatening or abusing and to stay away from you.

Sexual Abuse Protective Order (SAPO)

Available in certain cases where a person was subjected to unwanted sexual abuse by another person who is not a family member or intimate partner.

Stalking Protective Order

You can get a Stalking Protective Order if you and/or a member of your immediate family or household are being stalked. Stalking is usually characterized by a pattern of intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly alarming or coercing another person, or engaging in unwanted and repeated contact.

Extreme Risk Protection Order (ERPO)

An Extreme Risk Protection Order is a court order that prevents a person who is at risk of hurting another person or of committing suicide from having or getting deadly weapons, including firearms.

If you need assistance obtaining a Protective Order please contact Victim’s Assistance 503-842-1241 or 1-866-442-1241 (office) or contact Tillamook County Women’s Resource Center 503-842-9486 or 1-800-992-1679.