The State of Oregon has 36 different counties which are divided into 27 judicial districts. The Benton County Circuit Court is the 21st Judicial District within the Oregon Judicial Branch of government and is located in Corvallis, Oregon. Our role is to resolve disputes according to the law, and process other legal transactions, as allowed by law. We cover the geographical area of Benton County although we are not part of county government. Our court has 3 elected Circuit Court Judge positions that each serve six-year terms.
- Honorable Joan E. Demarest (Appointed 4/24/19)
- Honorable Matthew J. Donohue
- Honorable Locke A. Williams
*The land the courthouse occupies was donated to the county by Joseph and Martha Avery and William and Julia Dixon, co-founders of the town first known as Marysville and later named Corvallis. The Benton County Courthouse, designed by Portland architect Delos D. Neer, was built in 1888-1889. Its style is consistent with the Italianate architecture popular at the time. The total cost of the project, including furnishings, was less than $70,000. The Circuit Court, with Judge R.S. Bean presiding, sat in its first session in the new courthouse on November 4, 1889. The Benton County Courthouse was designated an Oregon Historic Site in 1968 and is the oldest courthouse in Oregon still serving its original purpose.
*This material was derived from a publication titled "The Flight of Time," that was prepared to celebrate the Courthouse Centennial Celebration.