Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Oregon Judicial Department Logo

Temporary Orders

Temporary Orders

You can ask the court to make temporary orders after you file a Petition. In a post-judgment action, you can ask the court to make temporary orders after you file a Motion (request). Either Petitioner or Respondent may ask for temporary orders. Temporary orders are effective as soon as a judge signs the order. They last until a judge changes the terms, signs the final judgment, or dismisses the case. For example, either party may request an order for child or spousal support or, in certain circumstances, an order about temporary use of property. To make any of these requests, you must file a “motion” (request) asking the court to do what you want.

One type of temporary order is called a Status Quo Order. This order prevents either parent from changing the children’s normal schedules, interfering with parenting time of the other parent, or changing where the children live. This does not decide custody or who can make major decisions for the children. “Normal schedule” means the children’s schedule for the three months before you file a request for a Status Quo Order.

There is also a process allowed by Oregon law to request temporary custody for certain cases involving child custody issues where the children are in “immediate danger.”

It may also be possible to ask the court to set up a temporary parenting plan while your divorce, legal separation, or custody case is pending.

The forms on this website may not cover all temporary orders you need. The types of temporary orders available and the process to obtain temporary orders will vary depending on whether you are filing a brand new case (pre-judgment) or asking to change an existing judgment (post-judgment). Talk to a lawyer for more information.

Domestic Violence

All courts have restraining order forms for cases involving domestic violence. A judge will usually hear your request within a day or two of filing. Check with your local court for filing times and procedures.

Refer to the Domestic Violence section of this website for Family Abuse Prevention Act (FAPA) Restraining Order forms and information. Forms for other types of protective orders are also available.