Interpreter Credentials Available to You
If your target language is one of the following:
- Arabic, Bosnian/Serbian/Croatian, Cantonese, French, Haitian Creole, Hmong, Ilocano, Korean, Laotian, Mandarin, Polish, Portuguese, Tagalog, Turkish, Vietnamese,
then you are eligible for both the Oregon Certified Court Interpreter Credential, or the Oregon Registered Court Interpreter Credential. More information about the Registered Credential can be found below. View more information about the Oregon Certified Court Interpreter Credential.
Languages currently available for the Registered Credential
The Oregon Registered Court Interpreter Credential will indicate that requirements have been met for legal interpreting and may be useful in securing assignments in the Oregon Judicial Department.
The Oregon Registered Court Interpreter credential will be awarded to a person who speaks a language other than Spanish or Russian and who:
- Achieves appropriate passing scores on an Oral Proficiency Interview in the interpreter's language and an English Language Skills Proficiency Examination that reflect near-native language proficiency, or
- Achieves an appropriate score on other equivalent proficiency examinations
The Oregon Registered Court Interpreter credential candidate must also fulfill the following credential steps:
- Pass a criminal history check
- Complete five hours of mentored Oregon Judicial Department court interpreting assignments
- Achieve a passing score on the Ethics Examination.
- Complete and submit documentation of ten hours of court interpreting services or court observation in courts of record in Oregon or Consortium member states, federal courts of record, or where the interpreter is sworn in and the record can be presented into evidence.
- Complete the application process
- Take the Interpreter's Oath administered by an Oregon State Court Judge.
Please contact Court.Interpreter.Program@ojd.state.or.us to begin the registration process.