Harney County initially was part of Grant County, but the distance to the county seat in Canyon City, several days away by horse, influenced many citizens to petition for a more locally based government. Supporters circulated a bill in the legislature as early as 1887, but it was not until February 1889 that the state created Harney County out of the southern two-thirds of Grant.
Today Grant and Harney comprise the 24th Judicial District. Burns serves as the county seat for Harney with the current courthouse having been completed in 1942. Canyon City serves as the county seat for Grant with the current courthouse having been completed in 1952. The courthouses share a common architectural design.
PUBLIC NOTICE: To serve a copy of a notice of appeal on the trial court
administrator (TCA) and the transcript coordinator for this court, under Oregon Rules of Appellate Procedure 1.35(e), use the following email
Grant County: Gra.firstname.lastname@example.org
Harney County: Har.email@example.com