Viewing Court Records
Court records may be viewed on the public computer terminals in Room 107 during normal business hours.
Copy requests may be made in person in Room 107, by email, mail, or phone.
- In person requests may be made by going to Room 107.
- Requests by mail may be sent to: Linn County Circuit Court, PO Box 1749, Albany, OR 97321.
- Requests may be submitted by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are unable to come to the courthouse, you can request records by mail or email by completing the Linn County Circuit Court Public Records Request form.
Please include as much of the following information on the form in order to process your request as quickly as possible:
- Case name;
- Case number;
- List of document(s) you want copied;
- Please specify if certification and/or exemplification is requested and for which documents.
The cost for requesting copies per CJO #14-066 is as follows and is due at the time of the request:
- Copies: $0.25 per page
- Certified Copies: $5.00 for a certified copy (in addition to the per page copy charge)
- Emailed Copies: $3.00 per case
- Emailed copies originating from a paper file: $3.00 per case + $0.20 per page
- Exemplified Copies: $10.00 for an exemplified copy (in addition to the per page copy charge)
- Microfiled copies (Cases prior to 1988) –
Printed - $0.75 per page
Emailed - $3.00 per case + $0.45 per page
- Fax: $2.00 first page, $1.00 each additional page
- Postage - Charge depends on number of copies
There may be additional fees for staff time and other actual costs when responding to requests that require additional services or more than the normal and reasonable time for routine requests, including:
- Locating, compiling, and sorting requested records, this applies even if the requested records are not found or they are exempt from disclosure;
- Reviewing requested records and redacting any exempt material;
- Copying requested records;
- Returning documents to files;
- Supervising the inspection by the requester;
- Preparing correspondence related to your request; and
- Special copy services and mailing services for documents that are not of standard size or for voluminous requests.
Linn County Circuit Court will accept the following forms of payment:
- In person- Cash, Personal check, Cashier check, Money Order, Credit or Debit card (Visa, MasterCard or Discover Card only).
- By Mail- Personal check, Cashier check, Money Order. Please make checks payable to “State of Oregon”.
- By Email- Staff will contact you for payment.
Note: If you are making payment by check and do not know the exact amount of copies to be made, send a blank check made payable to the State of Oregon, and in the memo line, write “Not to Exceed” and an amount you believe will cover the cost of the copies. Records staff will then fill in the exact amount and send the receipt, along with the copies, in the self-addressed, stamped envelope you have provided for that purpose.
Difference between Copies, Certified Copies, and Exemplified Copies
- Copies are electronic images (TIFF, PDF) or photocopies of any document in the file or an audio recording.
- Certified Copies are photocopies of a filed document in its entirety that is sworn to be a true copy by a Court Clerk. The certified copy should not be taken apart. If the staple is removed the certification becomes invalid.
- Exemplified Copy, also called a 3-Way Certificate, is a photocopy of a pleading in its entirety that’s authenticity is sworn to by the Court Clerk. The signature of the Court Clerk is sworn to by the Presiding Judge then the Court Clerk swears to the authenticity of the Judge’s signature. These copies are often required by other states and countries when copies are being submitted for filing in their local court. It takes two to three additional days to process an exemplified copy request.
Delivery of Documents
- Send a check to cover the cost for your request as well as a self-addressed, stamped envelope large enough to return the copies to you (a #10 envelope can hold approximately 5 pages; 6" x 9" envelope can hold approximately 25 pages).
- Arrange to pick up your documents in person at the Records Office in Room 107.
- Certified/Exemplified copies cannot be sent through email.
Failure to comply with the above requirements may result in your request being returned to you.