Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Oregon Judicial Department Logo

Court Appointed Attorney Information


Persons who are charged with a crime and who cannot afford to hire an attorney may request the court to appoint an attorney at state expense. In addition, a court appointed attorney may be requested in a juvenile dependency (abuse or neglect), termination of parental rights, or juvenile delinquency proceeding.

Persons who are involved in a civil proceeding, such as domestic relations matters, personal injury, landlord / tenant, bankruptcy, or employment cases are NOT eligible for a court appointed attorney at state expense.

Application Process

If you would like to apply for court appointed attorney, you will need to complete an Affidavit of Eligibility. You may request court appointed counsel at your first court appearance. You may apply BEFORE your arraignment date.
There is typically a $20.00 application fee and depending on your financial situation the court may charge an additional contribution amount. If you are convicted of a crime, the court may require you to repay some or all of the cost of your Court Appointed Attorney if it determines you are able.

How To Submit Your Application

It is the Courts preference that application is completed and submitted online using the Odyssey Guide & File service.

If you are unable to access Guide & File, blank forms can be found in our Criminal Forms section or in-person at the Trial Court Administrator’s front counter. Completed, original, applications can be returned in the mail, delivered in-person at the front counter, or placed in the drop-box in the front lobby of the courthouse. Follow-up regarding applications is done over the telephone. Please ensure that you are providing the correct phone number on your application. For additional information please contact the court verifier at 503-397-2327 ext. 70129.

If you do not qualify for a court-appointed attorney, you will need to hire an attorney on your own. You may seek private legal counsel at any time.
The Oregon State Bar offers information and a lawyer referral service as well as a Modest Means Program.
The Columbia County Indigent Defense Corporation
Phone: 503-366-1790
Justice Alliance of Columbia County
Phone: 971-813-6245