Skip to Main Content

Civil Law


The Court is open Monday through Friday, excluding legal holidays, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., however the Civil Case Unit will be open from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding legal holidays.

The "Drop Box", which is located on the "Employee Only" door to Room 104, may be used to submit pleadings, other documents for filing, and payments anytime during regular courthouse hours.  Any filings and payments placed in the "Drop Box" no later than 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding legal holidays, will be date stamped and deemed received and filed on that day.


Location: Clackamas County Circuit Court
  Civil Case Unit
  807 Main Street, Room 104
  Oregon City, OR   97045
Phone: 503.655.8447  Select option 3



The Civil Case Unit takes in filings and processes:

  • Civil
  • Domestic relations;
  • FED (forcible entry and detainer);
  • Mental health;
  • Name change;
  • Probate;
  • Restraining orders; and
  • Small claims.


Effective 10/1/07, adoption case filings and processes will be completed at Juvenile Court located at 2123 Kaen Road, Oregon City, OR   97045.


Arbitration is a procedure, much like a trial but less formal.  Instead of a decision being made by a judge or jury, an arbitrator hears the evidence and makes a decision.  Like a judge, an arbitrator makes rulings on motion, decides the order in which witnesses appear and the testimony they give, and may impose penalties on a party who disobeys the arbitrator's orders.

There are two kinds of cases that the court will order to go into arbitration.  The first kind of case is a civil lawsuit.  A civil lawsuit is a case where one party, the plaintiff, is suing another person or corporation, the defendant for money.  Examples include a personal injury case from an automobile accident, a disagreement about a contract or some other type of case that doesn't involve criminal charges.  In civil cases, the lawsuit goes into arbitration depending on the amount money the plaintiff is asking for.  Cases less than $50,000 must go into arbitration.  The second kind of case is a domestic relations or family law case, where the parties are arguing about something other than custody or support.  An example is a case where the husband and wife cannot agree on how to divide their property and their debts.  To find out more about arbitration, please click here to go to the Arbitration page.


Please do not send original documents directly to the judge's office.   Please file the original document in the Civil Case Unit office.


Monday – Friday at 1:00 p.m.


The Clackamas County Circuit Court has suspended indefinitely the night court calendar. All small claims and forcible entry and detainer (FED) cases are currently being scheduled during day court.  


If you will be asking the Clackamas County Sheriff's Office to serve your documents, they have asked that we share the following with you:

In order to serve your process to the right person, and in the event that enforcement action is needed at any point in your case, please note that on advice from counsel, the address you provide must be precise.  To ensure you use the most accurate information, use this website to determine the correct address:


Civil fees are due at the time of filing your papers.  If you cannot pay the fee at the time of filing, you may apply for a fee deferral/waiver.   If the fee deferral/waiver is granted, collections of those fees are the same as any other monetary obligation.   For additional information, please go to the Collections Page.


Click here to view the 2008 Civil Motions Panel Statement.