Multnomah interpreter scheduling staff works remotely and the primary Multnomah Scheduler is available by four methods of communication:
CIS will maintain Spanish staff interpreters at the downtown building. CIS staff will continue to maintain simultaneous interpreting equipment for interpreters in the building. Freelance interpreters will need to verbally check in with the clerk in the courtroom they are assigned to and obtain sign-out initials from the clerk in the courtroom they are assigned to, or contact the scheduler by phone to sign out.
Attorneys working within the Multnomah County Circuit Courts should follow the Uniform Trial Court Rules/ Supplemental Local Rules applicable to the use of and the scheduling of court interpreters.(UTCR 7.070 and 7.080, Multnomah Supplemental Local Rule (7.071). In brief:
- It is the responsibility of the non-English speaking party, or their attorney, to notify Court Interpreter Services of interpreter needs.
- Interpreter requests must be made no later than four judicial days in advance of the proceeding.
- Schedule changes or cancellations must be communicated to Court Interpreter Services by the non-English speaking party, or their attorney, promptly.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the information in this email, please contact Kelly Mills at 503-986-7004 or an Operations Manager at 503-986-5855.
7.070 Foreign Language Interpreters
(1) If a foreign language interpreter is needed for a court proceeding, the party in need of an interpreter must notify the court in the manner required by the court as soon as possible, but no later than four judicial days in advance of the proceeding. For good cause shown, the court may waive the four-day advance notice. (2) Notification to the court must include:
- (a) the name of the person needing an interpreter;
- (b) the case number;
- (c) charges (if applicable);
- (d) the nature of the proceeding;
- (e) the person's status in the proceeding;
- (f) the time, date, and estimated length of the proceeding; and
- (g) the language to be interpreted.
7.080 Interpreters' Request for Information
If requested by a neutral court interpreter, parties in civil and criminal cases shall provide a list of specialized terminology expected to be used in the proceeding in which the interpreter will be providing services. The list shall be provided prior to the commencement of the proceeding. The list shall be kept confidential by the interpreter and is not discoverable.
7.071 Scheduling Foreign Language Interpreters Under UTCR 7.070
(1) For purposes of complying with UTCR 7.070, if a foreign language interpreter is needed, the party in need of an interpreter, prior to each proceeding in the action in which an interpreter is needed, must contact the Court Interpreter Services Office in Multnomah County as provided in UTCR 7.070. Court Interpreter Services schedules interpreters upon receiving the notification required by UTCR 7.070.
(2) The party in need of the interpreter must update the Court Interpreter Services office promptly upon learning of a cancellation or any shortened or lengthened time frame for the interpreter in the scheduled proceeding.
(3) The Court Interpreter Services Office in Multnomah County may be contacted by e-mail at MUL.Interpreter.Services@ojd.state.or.us or by calling 503-846-8345. The Interpreter Services Office is available to take both e-mail and calls each business day from 8:00 am to Noon and from 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm.