Skip to main content

Criminal Cases

 How to obtain a Court Appointed Attorney

You may be entitled to a Court Appointed Attorney at public expense if you qualify as an indigent person and have been charged with a crime for which you may be sentenced to jail or prison if convicted. An indigent person is one who cannot hire an attorney without causing substantial hardship to himself/herself or dependent family. In addition, a court appointed attorney may be requested in a juvenile dependency (abuse or neglect), termination of parental rights, or juvenile delinquency proceedings. Persons who are involved in a civil proceeding, such as a divorce, personal injury, landlord/tenant or employment cases are not eligible for legal representation at state expense.
If you have been charged with a crime, you may request Court Appointed Attorney at your first court appearance. If you qualify, an attorney will be appointed for you. There is typically a $20 application fee, dependent upon financial eligibility, plus any contribution amounts that may be applicable. If you are convicted of a crime, the court may require you to repay some or all of the cost of your Court Appointed Attorney if it determines you are able.

Forms for Requesting a Court Appointed Attorney

Application and Affidavit of Eligibility – Court Appointed Counsel (coming soon)
Release of Information – Court Appointed Counsel (coming soon)

Set aside (expungement) of arrest and criminal court records

To have your record set aside (expunged) you must file legal documents with the Court and the District Attorney's office. The Court does not have these forms. You can contact an attorney or file the forms yourself.

Your browser is out-of-date! It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how