Skip to Main Content

Going to Court


Going To Court?

Proper Apparel for Malheur County Circuit Court for Non-Lawyers

  1. Proper attire is required by everyone entering the Malheur County Circuit Court and will be strictly enforced. Anyone not properly dressed upon arriving in the courtroom may be sent away until properly dressed.
  2. The following items are unacceptable attire;
    • Tube tops, tank tops, halter tops, bare midriff tops, see-through tops;
    • Shorts;
    • Dresses shorter than the fingertips of extended arms;
    • Skirts or pants with waists that allow undergarments to be seen;
    • Clothing with large holes;
    • Hats;
    • Clothing which display controlled substances (tobacco, alcohol, drugs), double meanings, hate motivated behavior, illegal activities, obscene gestures or language, profanity, sexual references, or violence;
    • Bare feet;
    • Chains which could be used as weapons;
  3. Please remember, your choice of clothing reflects an attitude when appearing before the Court. The following attire is suggested for all non-lawyers appearing in Court.
    • MALE - long or short sleeve shirts with collars. Slacks or dress denim trousers.
    • FEMALE - Dresses, skirts, or slacks and blouse.

If you have a question as to whether or not what you are wearing is appropriate for Court, please ask Court staff.


In addition to weapons, firearms, knives, mace, and cap-stun, the following items are prohibited in the courtroom:

--Cameras - Cell Phones - Tape Recorders - Food - Drinks - Audible beepers or pagers--

Please remove your hat when you enter the courtroom.

Civil law

Civil law includes statutes and "case law" that define or interpret individuals' and organizations' private rights in their relationships and disputes that involve property, contracts, personal injury, family relationships, tax, or government rules and regulations.
Because Oregon does not have laws that define every private right, courts rely on the "court-made" law called "common law" to resolve some disputes. [more]

Criminal law

Appearing in Court

If you have been cited to appear in court, your citation or notice to appear will list the date and time of your appearance. To request a change in your appearance date, contact Malheur County Circuit Court at 541-473-5171 and speak to a clerk. Your request may or may not be granted. You may not change your appearance date on the day of the appearance. You may not change your appearance date by leaving a message on voice mail. If you fail to appear as scheduled, a warrant may be issued for your arrest, the case may be dismissed and other sanctions may be imposed. If the charge is a violation, the Court may decide the case in your absence.

If you are represented by an attorney, you must contact your attorney regarding your appearance dates.

In-Custody Arraingments


If you have been lodged in the Malheur County Jail pending arraignment, you usually will appear for video arraignment at 1:00 p.m. on the next business day. Check the posted dockets, the court calendars on the web site, or contact the clerk's office to determine where the in-custody arraignments will be held.

Outstanding Warrant

If you have an outstanding warrant and you want to turn yourself in, you may do so at any time at the Malheur County Jail Facility.   If you turn yourself in Monday through Friday (excluding Holidays) prior to 10:00 a.m. then you may be able to see the judge on the same day. 

Criminal law is the body of laws that define a person's basic rights in and duties to preserve a peaceful and safe society. A person who violates the duties to preserve social peace and safety may be guilty of a crime "against the people" and so face jail, prison, or some other punishment.  In addition, if the lawbreaker's act injured another (the "victim"), the victim may have a right to a private, civil law claim for damages. [more]





Malheur County Circuit Court publishes its docket calendars on a daily basis and updates them to the web-site as often as changes are made; however, changes may be made at any time. [more]

We Can Help

While court staff can provide general information about court procedures, ORS 9.160 prohibits court staff from giving legal advice. If you need legal advice, please contact a lawyer. [more]


Court Hours