Skip to Main Content


See the Yamhill County Web site for Passports and Marriage Licenses, and the Yamhill County Sheriff Inmate Roster.

Small Claim

Small claim mediation is the attempt to settle a legal dispute through active participation of a third party known as the mediator. The mediator attempts to discover areas of agreement between the parties and arrive at a fair outcome. All small claim cases are placed into mediation status until at some point during the mediation process one of the parties cannot agree to an outcome.
When mediation fails the small claim court hears the case. In small claim court attorneys may not represent clients unless by permission of the judge. The filing fee for small claim court is low, there is no jury, the procedure is more informal, each side has a short time to present the facts of the case, and there is no right to appeal. Sometimes the judge is an experienced lawyer sitting as a "pro tem" judge. Small claim court is a quick, inexpensive way to settle lesser legal disputes.
See the category Small Claim Forms on the forms page to learn about the small claim process, or to print forms.

Eviction - Landlord / Tenant

Eviction is the way of removing someone from real property by legal action. Eviction can be a lawsuit for unlawful detainer, a claim of title to the property, or a request to prevent the tenant from further possession of the property. In most instances eviction consists of removing a tenant who has not followed the terms of a lease or rental agreement by not paying rent.
See the category of Eviction Forms on the forms page to learn more about the eviction process, or print forms.


List of Arbitrators

Change of Name 

A name change petition is filed in the probate court in the jurisdiction where the petitioner lives. Proper forms must be used. If the
person requesting the name change is under 18 years of age, the request must be filed by a parent or guardian. If the person requesting a name change is an adult, the adult will sign their petition.

The court must find that the requested name change is consistent with the public interest. The court must be satisfied that the reasons for the name change are not detrimental to the interests of anyone else. Any reasonable objections made to the court can influence the decision of the court when deciding if the change of name is consistent with the public interest. A person will not be allowed to change their name in order to avoid judgments, legal actions, to avoid debts or obligations or to defraud any person.

The court may consider the wishes of a child old enough to express their wishes when considering whether to grant any petition affecting the child. The parent(s) or legal guardian(s) must be given notice of the petition file. The parent(s) or legal guardian(s) must provide written consent to the name change, or proof of service must be filed with the court showing that the child's parent(s) or legal guardian were served with the summons and a copy of the petition at least 30 days prior to the date set for the hearing. The summons must advise the parent(s) or legal guardian(s) of the date and time set for the hearing.

Public notice of the requested name change is accomplished by posting the petition on the bulletin board on the first floor of the courthouse. The decree granting the name change is posted in the same way. The court will provide written notice to both custodial and non-custodial parents of any child.

If a parent responds to a petition or the time for response elapses probate court will hold an informal hearing where all interested parties may present evidence to help determine if the name change is in the best interest of the child. The court can prevail in the interest of a child even if the parent(s) or legal guardian(s) object to the name change.

When is the court likely to grant a name change? For an order of name change to be granted, the court must find compliance with the requirements of the statute and that the requested change of name is consistent with the public interest. For an adult, a change of name upon marriage, dissolution, or divorce meets these requirements. For a minor, the name change must be in the best interest of the child.

To view or print the document for name change information click the link for Information for Change of Name on the forms page.

Guardian's Report 

Guardianship is a legal relationship created by a court between a guardian and a ward. A ward is either a minor child or an incapacitated adult. A guardian has a legal right and duty to care for the ward and typically the guardian makes personal or business decisions on behalf of the ward.
A guardian may be a relative or may be unrelated to the ward. A potential guardian files a petition requesting to become guardian then a court makes a decision to approve or deny the petition. Guardianship may be temporary or permanent.
At intervals specified by the court, a guardian will submit recent information about the ward to the court. The guardian's report covers personal matters or the business of the ward.
When the relationship of guardian and ward ends, the ward is entitled to have an account of the administration of the estate from the guardian.
See the category Probate Forms on the forms page to print the guardian's report.


Guardianships of incapacitated adults are more typically called conservatorships and are handled by attorneys.


For any of the following resources click here:
How To Prepare for Your Civil Trial
Small Claims