Skip to Main Content

Probate Department

The Probate Department is located in the basement (Room B-7) of the Washington County Courthouse. The clerks can be reached at 503.846.2366.

Completed paperwork for filing in probate (including Small Estate Affidavits), protective proceedings, name changes, sex changes must be submitted with the appropriate filing fees, if applicable.

Probate records (including Small Estates), protective proceedings, name and sex changes may be requested through the Records Department Room 110J of the Justice Services Building, 150 N 1st Avenue, Hillsboro, OR 97124.

Probate searches for potential creditor’s claims must be requested in writing. Please send your request to the probate department and include the deceased person’s name, date of death and any other identifying information as might be required to complete the search. Additionally, a self-addressed, stamped return envelope should be provided for return of your request.

Probate Matters, including estates and protective proceedings can be complicated and you may find it helpful to consult an attorney. The court staff is prohibited from providing you with legal advice, acting as your attorney or assisting you in preparation of paperwork. The Probate Department does not provide legal forms with the exception of the yearly report form for guardians of adults.


 Go To Top 

Additional information on:


Small Estates
Name Change and Change of Sex


Other Resources:

Oregon Judicial Department Uniform Trial Court Rules (UTCRs)
Circuit Court Fee Schedule
Oregon State Statutes from the Oregon Legislature
Legal Links for the Public from the Oregon State Bar



The statute regarding small estates changed effective January 1, 2006 and January 1, 2010. The court does not provide forms; however, the appropriate information may be downloaded based upon the date of decedent's death below:


Prior to January 1, 2006
January 1, 2006 - December 31, 2009
January 1, 2010 or later.

 Go To Top 



You must be a resident of Washington County to file a name change in Washington County. Because a name change is an elective proceeding, the filing fee must be paid at the time of filing the Petition.

If you choose to obtain a name change without the assistance of an attorney, you may print out forms and instructions either at home or at the courthouse.

Forms are available now by hyperlink for either adults or minors. Note: For Google Chrome Users click here if the form does not fill within the browser.

Additionally, Washington County Circuit Court has kiosks available in the family law facilitator’s office (Room 102C of the Courthouse) for automated form fill of name change paperwork.  This kiosk contains forms and instructions in English, as well as Spanish, Russian and Chinese.  The cost is $5.00 and should be paid at the cashier’s counter prior to use of the kiosk.  This fee includes use of the kiosk and printing of the forms and instructions. 


Please carefully read the instructions for further information regarding filing procedures and appearance for the hearing.

When you are ready to file your petition(s) and set a hearing date, you must appear at Ex Parte Name Change Orientation which is held in the Clerk's Office - 1st Floor of the Justice Services Bldg. on Monday - Thursday (choose one), 8:30 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.

If you are  not  ready to file your petition(s) and have procedural questions, a clerk will be available at that time to assist you. Please note: the court staff is not permitted to give legal advice regarding the name change proceeding. If you have questions that are not answered in the instructions, you may wish to contact an attorney or research the issue yourself.

If you are requesting a name change as a result of a marriage you may wish to contact the Washington County Department of Assessment and Taxation-Recording Section, as well as the institutions where you wish to change your name for their requirements (i.e. DMV, Social Security, U.S. Passport Office).

If your requested name change is the result of a divorce, please check your final dissolution paperwork. In some cases, the spouse’s maiden name will be restored within the final judgment.

If you are requesting a name change for a minor for the purpose of correcting the minor's birth certificate, you may wish to contact the Washington County Health and Human Services/Vital Records before filing a name change with the court.


 A court may order a legal change of sex and enter a judgment indicating the change of sex for a person whose sex has been changed as indicated in ORS 33.460. You may need to contact an attorney familiar with Oregon law to complete the necessary documents for a legal change of sex. Washington County does not have forms available for a legal change of sex.


 Go To Top 


Petitions for Adoption are filed in family law with the domestic relations clerk. Adoption inquiries may be directed to the clerk's office at 503-846-2247. Thank you.

 Go To Top       


Court Visitor Fees must be paid immediately upon acceptance of the Petition in File & Serve by calling the accounting department at 503-846-2290 and 503-846-2291
Petition for Appointment of Guardian Indefinite Period   $390.00
Petition for Temporary Guardian                                     $390.00
Petition for Appointment of Temporary Guardian AND
Guardian Indefinite Period (filed at the same time)         $650.00


Once appointed, guardians for adults are required to file a report with the court each year within 30 days of the anniversary of their appointment. The court provides a report form for guardians of adults.

Please download our current form of the Guardian's Report.

Please download the current form of the Co-Guardian's Report.


The Honorable Andrew R. Erwin,
Circuit Judge

Contact Information:
Washington County Courts
Attn: Probate Department

Washington County Courthouse
150 N 1st Avenue MS 37
Hillsboro, OR 97124

Information: 503.846.2366
TTY Phone: 503.846.4863