Skip to Main Content

Probate Department

The Probate Department is located on the first floor of the Justice Services Building, 150 North First Avenue, Hillsboro, OR 97124. The clerks can be reached at 503.846.2366.

Completed paperwork for filing in probate (including Small Estate Affidavits), protective proceedings, name changes, sex changes must be submitted with the appropriate filing fees, if applicable.

Probate records (including Small Estates), protective proceedings, name and sex changes may be requested through the Records Department Room 110J of the Justice Services Building, 150 N 1st Avenue, Hillsboro, OR 97124.

Probate searches for potential creditor’s claims must be requested in writing. Please send your request to the probate department and include the deceased person’s name, date of death and any other identifying information as might be required to complete the search. Additionally, a self-addressed, stamped return envelope should be provided for return of your request.

Probate Matters, including estates and protective proceedings can be complicated and you may find it helpful to consult an attorney. The court staff is prohibited from providing you with legal advice, acting as your attorney or assisting you in preparation of paperwork. The Probate Department does not provide legal forms with the exception of the yearly report form for guardians of adults.


 Go To Top 

Additional information on:

General Protocol 

Small Estates
Name Change and Change of Sex


Other Resources:

Oregon Judicial Department Uniform Trial Court Rules (UTCRs)
Circuit Court Fee Schedule
Oregon State Statutes from the Oregon Legislature
Legal Links for the Public from the Oregon State Bar



The statute regarding small estates changed effective January 1, 2006 and January 1, 2010. The court does not provide forms; however, the appropriate information may be downloaded based upon the date of decedent's death below:


Prior to January 1, 2006
January 1, 2006 - December 31, 2009
January 1, 2010 or later.

 Go To Top 


You must be a resident of Washington County to file a name change in Washington County.  The name change forms are available for pick up at the Clerk's Office probate window, Justice Services Building, during regular business hours.

To file a completed Petition or if you have any proceduaral questions, the clerks are available to assist at an Ex Parte Name Change Information Session, Monday - Thursday, 8:30 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.  Please note: The court staff is not permitted to provide answers to legal questions or otherwise give legal advice.


If you are requesting a name change as a result of a marriage you may wish to contact the Washington County Department of Assessment and Taxation-Recording Section, as well as the institutions where you wish to change your name for their requirements (i.e. DMV, Social Security, U.S. Passport Office).

If your requested name change is the result of a divorce, please check your final dissolution paperwork. In some cases, the spouse’s maiden name will be restored within the final judgment.

If you are requesting a name change for a minor for the purpose of correcting the minor's birth certificate, you may wish to contact the Washington County Health and Human Services/Vital Records before filing a name change with the court.


 A court may order a legal change of sex and enter a judgment indicating the change of sex for a person whose sex has been changed as indicated in ORS 33.460. You may need to contact an attorney familiar with Oregon law to complete the necessary documents for a legal change of sex. Washington County does not have forms available for a legal change of sex.


 Go To Top 


Petitions for Adoption are filed in family law with the domestic relations clerk. Adoption inquiries may be directed to the clerk's office at 503-846-2247. Thank you.

 Go To Top       


Court Visitor Fees must be paid immediately upon acceptance of the Petition in File & Serve by calling the accounting department at 503-846-2290 and 503-846-2291
Petition for Appointment of Guardian Indefinite Period   $390.00
Petition for Temporary Guardian                                     $390.00
Petition for Appointment of Temporary Guardian AND
Guardian Indefinite Period (filed at the same time)         $650.00


Once appointed, guardians for adults are required to file a report with the court each year within 30 days of the anniversary of their appointment. The court provides a report form for guardians of adults.

Please download our current form of the Guardian's Report.

Please download the current form of the Co-Guardian's Report.


The Honorable Janelle Factora Wipper,
Circuit Judge

Contact Information:
Washington County Courts
Attn: Probate Department

Washington County Courthouse
150 N 1st Avenue MS 37
Hillsboro, OR 97124

Information: 503.846.2366
TTY Phone: 503.846.4863