Skip to Main Content

Alternative Service - Packet 6A

If you cannot complete service on the other party by the usual methods, including personal service (having the papers delivered directly to respondent), substitute service (delivery of papers to a person living at respondent’s home who is at least 14 years old, and mailing of documents to home address), and office service (delivery of papers to the person apparently in charge at respondent’s office during working hours and mailing of documents) the judge may allow for service by some other method.

The law requires that you try to locate the other party through all possible methods before an alternative method of service is allowed. This may include contacting respondent’s employer, friends and relatives, public utilities, the post office, and any other entity or person who might know of respondent’s whereabouts. The court may allow you to serve the other party by any method or combination of methods that will most likely give the other party notice, including but not limited to publication of summons; mailing without publication to a specified post office address.