Skip to Main Content

Family Law



Civil Case Unit - Family Law 
Location: Clackamas County Circuit Court  
  807 Main Street, Room 104  
  Oregon City, OR   97045  
 Phone  Information  503.655.8447


Note:  Please contact the Civil Case Unit - Family Law for filing information and case status questions.  The Family Law Self Help Program should only be contacted if you are representing yourself and have procedural questions or need clarification on family law forms.  See below for information about how to schedule an appointment to meet with the Family Law Facilitator.

 Family Law Self Help Program


Clackamas County Circuit Court
  807 Main Street
  Oregon City, OR   97045
Phone: Information/Appointments: 503.650.3046
  (located on the 1st Floor of the Courthouse)  
  Family Court Specialist: 503.650.3045
E-mail E-Mail Family Law  


The Family Court Self-Help Program is a part of a statewide effort to improve access to justice for persons representing themselves in family law cases.   Family Court Specialists operate under the provisions of Oregon Revised Statute 3.428, with the authorization to provide the following services:

  • Educational materials.
  • Court forms (for a small fee).
  • Assistance in reviewing completed forms.
  • Information about court procedures.
  • Referrals to agencies and resources that provide legal and other services to parents or children.

It is important to note that as a self-represented litigant, you are acting as your own attorney.   Although this service may aid you in doing that, it is not a replacement for valuable legal advice nor should it be considered so.   Court Staff is prohibited from engaging in the unlawful practice of law.

Click here for more information about what court staff can and cannot do for you.

Educational Materials

Listed below are links to educational materials that may be of assistance to you.

Court Forms

Some simple, do-it-yourself family law forms involving uncomplicated issues are available at the court for a small fee.   The forms are also available on the Oregon Courts website.

Some of the forms available to start or respond to a court action include:

  • Dissolution (Divorce)
  • Legal Separation
  • Establish Legal Custody, Parenting Time and Support for Unmarried Parents
  • Modification of Custody, Parenting Time and Support
  • Annulment of a Void or Voidable Marriage
  • Enforcement of Court-Ordered Custody and/or Parenting
  • Parenting Plans

Note:  You will not find forms for guardianship or third party custody cases at either location. If you are in need of these types of forms, you are very strongly encouraged to contact an attorney by using the Oregon State Bar Lawyer Referral Service.

Assistance In Reviewing Completed Forms

The Family Court Specialists are available by appointment to review your completed family law forms.   You may also contact the Family Court Specialist by phone or e-mail to ask procedural questions or for clarification on family law forms.   See the section below entitled “How To Schedule An Appointment” for contact information.

How To Schedule An Appointment

If you would like a Family Court Specialist to review your documents, you must first fill them out as completely as possible.   Once you have completed your family law forms, please call the Information Center Clerk to schedule an appointment.   Appointments are one hour in length, and may be scheduled between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., excluding the noon hour, Monday through Friday, except court holidays. Upon arriving at the courthouse for your appointment, please check in with the Information Center Clerk on the first floor of the courthouse (the floor you enter on).   You will then be directed to the ground floor to meet with the specialist.

Contact Information:
Information Clerk:           503.650.3046
Family Court Specialist:   503.650.3045
E-mail:  E-Mail Family Law         


Filing Pleadings

Documents may be filed with the court through the mail, or in person.   

Fees for family law cases are due at the time of filing your papers.   If mailing your documents, please send a check or money order for fees that are due.  For our current fee schedule, please go to the Fee Schedule Page.   If you cannot pay your fee at the time of filing, you may apply for a fee deferral/waiver.   If the fee deferral/waiver is granted, collections of those fees are the same as any other monetary obligation.   For additional information, please go to the Collections Page.

The court’s mailing address is:   Clackamas County Circuit Court, 807 Main Street, Room 104, Oregon City, OR   97045.

Documents being filed in person are accepted on the first floor at the Civil Cases window, Room 104.

Scheduling Court Dates

Documents needing to be scheduled for hearing, such as an Order to Show Cause, should be scheduled through the Calendaring Unit in Room 200 of the courthouse.   All forms must be completed before scheduling a hearing and no hearings can be set over the phone.

If you are unsure of whether or not something needs to be scheduled for hearing, please contact the Calendaring Unit, or the Family Court Specialist if you are not represented by an attorney.

Note:  For attorneys and represented parties, please contact the Calendaring Unit, at 503.655.8643.


Arbitration is a procedure, much like a trial but less formal.  Instead of a decision being made by a judge or jury, an arbitrator hears the evidence and makes a decision.  Like a judge, an arbitrator makes rulings on motion, decides the order in which witnesses appear and the testimony they give, and may impose penalties on a party who disobeys the arbitrator's orders.

There are two kinds of cases that the court will order to go into arbitration.  The first kind of case is a civil lawsuit.  A civil lawsuit is a case where one party, the plaintiff, is suing another person or corporation, the defendant for money.  Examples include a personal injury case from an automobile accident, a disagreement about a contract or some other type of case that doesn't involve criminal charges.  In civil cases, the lawsuit goes into arbitration depending on the amount money the plaintiff is asking for.  Cases less than $50,000 must go into arbitration.  The second kind of case is a domestic relations or family law case, where the parties are arguing about something other than custody or support.  An example is a case where the husband and wife cannot agree on how to divide their property and their debts.  To find out more about arbitration, please click here to go to the Arbitration page. 

Getting a Judge’s Signature

There is one time a day when you may take orders/motions/judgments to a courtroom to see if a judge will sign them.   This is called Ex-parte.   In Clackamas County Circuit Court, Ex-parte is at 1:00 pm Monday through Friday, except court holidays.   Ex-parte lasts for 15 minutes; therefore, it is very important that you are in the court early.   All family law matters must be presented to Judge Jones’ Judicial Assistant for review prior to one of these scheduled times.   You may ask for his Judicial Assistant on the second floor in Room 200.

If there has already been a judgment made in your case, and you are presenting a post-judgment motion to the court other than a request to schedule a hearing, you are required by law to give reasonable advance notice to the other party (ies) in the case, or the judge will not be able to review your pleadings.

Filing Fees

Fees for family law cases are due at the time of filing your papers.   For our current fee schedule, please go to the Fee Schedule Page.   If you cannot pay the fee at the time of filing, you may apply for a fee deferral/waiver.   If the fee deferral is granted, collections of those fees are the same as any other monetary obligation.

Hearing Fees

Hearing fees are due when the hearing or trial date is set.   Additional fees for additional days of trial will be collected on the day the trial ends.   The Judge may not hear your case until the trial fee for the first day has been paid.


  • OJD Family Law Website:  Provides statewide optional domestic relations forms and printable family law resources at “Information and Resources”.   Please click on the following link for Information and forms.
  • Oregon State Bar (OSB):  Please click on the following link to go to the Oregon State Bar website.
    • Telephone:   The OSB can be contacted by telephone at: 503.620.0222, Toll-free in Oregon 1.800.452.8260;
    • Legal Links:   Please click on the following link to go to Legal Information for the Public.
    • Family Law Resource:   Please click here to go to the Family Law Resource Page.
    • Legallinks Cable Television Show:    Topics include Divorce Overview, Child Custody, Kids and the Courts.   Please click here to go to the LegalLinks Cable Television Website.
    • Lawyer Referral Service and Modest Means Programs.   Please click on the following link to go to the Lawyer Referral Service webpage.   This service can also be reached by calling 503.684.3763 or toll-free in Oregon at 1.800.452.7636.
    • Tel-Law:   A collection of recorded legal information messages prepared by the lawyers of Oregon available on line and by telephone at 503.620.3000 or toll-free in Oregon only:   1.800.452.4776, with access 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

  • Clackamas County Family Court Services.  Clackamas County Family Court Services provide mediation and parent education.
  • Oregon Law Help.   Free legal information for low-income Oregonians, including information on family law and protection from abuse.   You can get additional information by visiting the Oregon Law Help website.
  • Family Law Resource Lists.   Including:   County-by-county resource lists that contain information about local family law, advisory committees, local legal aid offices, mediation services, local courts, and OSB services.   Please click on the following link to go to the Oregon Department of Justice, Division of Child Support website for additional information. 

Resources for the Self-Represented Litigant:   Contains information regarding websites and written resources for family law, child support, parenting plans and domestic violence.   For additional information, please click on the following link on Resources for the Self-Represented Litigant.