Skip to Main Content


The Traffic/Criminal Violations Bureau is located on the 2nd floor of the Lane County Courthouse, 125 East 8th Avenue, Eugene, OR 97401. It is open from 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, except for court holidays. The Traffic/Criminal Violations Bureau handles all traffic citations from the Oregon State Police, fish and game violations, and other criminal violations. 

What Your Options Are:



How To Read Your Ticket

It is important to read your ticket (citation) as it contains important information.

The front of your citation tells you:

  • that you have been cited for a violation,
  • what county your citation was issued in,
  • what court you are to appear at (if Circuit is marked, then you come to Lane County Circuit Court (125 E. 8 th Avenue, Eugene, OR 97401), if Municipal, Justice or Juvenile court is marked, you need to go to those courts (click here for other court addresses),
  • the date and time of the citation,
  • what code you have allegedly violated,
  • the name and number of the officer,
  • your court appearance date, time and location.

The back of your citation tells you:

  • what your options are if you have been cited for a violation,
  • that the court may require you to appear for a hearing.

       Back to Top of Page

What Your Options Are

If you receive a ticket to appear at Lane County Circuit Court, you have 4 options:

Option 1 - Enter a Plea of No Contest and pay the presumptive fine by doing one of the following:

A.    Enter your plea and pay on-line     
B.    Send your citation to the court, attach a letter stating you are pleading no contest and include payment in the amount of the presumptive fine listed on the front of your citation.
C.    Appear in person at the court, Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and enter a plea of no contest in front of a Violations Bureau Clerk.  Bring the court your citation and payment in the amount of the presumtive fine listed on the front of your citation. 


Option 2 - Enter a Plea of No Contest and send a letter of explanation

1.     On the back of your citation, sign and date line #1.
2.     Mail or bring to the court your signed citation, your letter, and payment of the presumptive fine listed on the front of your citation.

Note: Choosing option 2 waives your right to trial. The court may consider your written statement when establishing the amount of the fine. The court cannot impose a fine that is less than the minimum fine amount. If you choose this option, the court will not fine you more than the presumptive fine without giving you notice to come to a hearing.

Option 3 - Enter a Plea of Not Guilty and Request a Trial by doing one of the following:

A.    Go to the court, Monday - Friday, from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm and enter a plea of not guilty in front of the Violation Bureau Clerk.  At that time a trial date will be set for you. 
B.    Request a trial in writing, on the back of your citation, sign your name and date next to option 3. Then send or take your citation to the court.  Trials are scheduled approximately 30 to 45 days from the date you are sighted to appear in court.

Your citation must be received before your court appearance date written on the bottom of your citation. A trial date will be set and a notice of that date will be mailed to you.

You must post the presumptive fine prior to the trial, or be prepared to pay the full fine at time of trial.  If you wish to postpone your traffic trial, you must write a letter to the traffic judge at least one week prior to the date of your trial.

Option 4 - Contact the Court and Determine if You Qualify for Trial by Affidavit

Anyone is eligible for a trial by affidavit (written appearance).  You must contact the court by letter stating that you are pleading not guilty and that you would like to request a trial by affidavit.  This letter must be received by the court on or before the scheduled appearance date on the front of your citation.  The court will send you instructions for your trial by affidavit.  Future court appearances may not be necessary as long as you follow the instructions sent to you by the court.

Note: If you wish to appear in person before a judge to enter a plea, you can appear on or before the appearance date shown on your citation, Monday through Friday at 8:30 am.      

ack to Top of Page

Requesting an Interpreter

The court will provide interpreters for any individual who needs assistance to understand or participate in a court proceeding.  The court must be notified as soon as possible, but at least 48 hours before the hearing, if an interpreter will be needed.  The court will need to know when, where, and what language is needed. Sign interpreters are available for the hearing impaired.

There is a Spanish language interpreter in 8:30 a.m. Traffic Court on Thursdays.

The Court's Interpreter Coordinator may be reached at  (541) 682-7692.

Please click here for more information on Court Accessibility and ADA issues.

Haga clic aquí para información en español sobre intérpretes.


     Back to Top of Page

Paying Your Fines

All base fines are due at the time of the first appearance or trial unless other arrangements have been made.

You may request a payment plan before the Judge or the clerk at the time of your appearance for your arraignment. You may also request a payment plan in writing. This request must be sent in with your plea, prior to your court date. The court will notify you in writing if your payment plan was approved or denied. The court charges a $50 to $200 fee, depending on the amount owing, for payment plans lasting more than 30 days.

Payment Options


ePay Logo 

  • OJD Courts ePay is an online electronic payment service which allows you to make payments on most court cases, citations, and accounts.
  • OJD Courts ePay accepts MasterCard and Visa credit cards and debit cards.
  • Payments are processed and recorded on your case within one business day 

NOTE: Some cases require an appearance in court. It may take as much as 10-15 days for a citation to be available for online payment. A $3.50 processing fee will be assessed on each transaction to cover the costs of processing the online payment.

Credit cards and Debit cards

Credit card payments are accepted at the court or over the phone(not through the mail).  The Court accepts Visa and MasterCard. Debit cards are also accepted.

Checks, Cash, Money Orders, Cashier Checks

Payment may be made by cash, check, money order, or cashier check. Please make checks or money orders payable to Lane County Circuit Court. Two-party checks are not accepted.

Please do not send cash in the mail.

The court will not accept payments made through Western Union.

Late Fees

You will be charged a late fee if you fail to pay your fines by the due date. The late fee (also known as a ``sanction fee") is added to the fine.  Once the late fee has been added to your case you have about sixty days to pay the fine and the fee to avoid action against your license by the Department of Motor Vehicles.

ack to Top of Page

What Happens If You Fail to Appear

If you fail to appear on your traffic citation, a default judgment will be entered against you. At that time, the court will notify the Oregon Department of Motor Vehicles and they will suspend your right to drive and your case will be turned over to a collection agency for collections.  Lane County Circuit Court uses two collection agencies: the Department of Revenue ((877) 222-2346) and Alliance One ((800) 456-8838).

If this happens you will need to make payment in full plus an additional $15.00 license sanction fee.  The $15.00 license sanction fee is paid directly to the court. Once the citation and the $15.00 license sanction fee has been paid in full, the court will notify the Oregon Department of Motor Vehicles and the collection agency that you are in compliance. Click here for contact information for the Oregon Department of Motor Vehicles.

     Back to Top of Page

Traffic Judgment Appeals

Filing an Appeal:

You may appeal a Municipal or Justice Court conviction to the Circuit Court if the penalty imposed is a fine or imprisonment.

A Notice of Appeal must be filed with the lower court (Municipal or Justice Court) within 30 days after entry of the judgment.

Filing Fees :

A filing fee is required at the time the transcript on appeal is filed in the Circuit Court when the action being appealed is a violation, infraction, or an action for violation of a city charter or ordinance.

The filing fee is not required when the action appealed is for an offense which have the possibility of a jail sentence if the defendant is convicted.

Link to fee schedule.

Fee Waivers or Deferrals:

The filing fee may be waived or deferred by a judge. Forms for waiver or deferral of filing fees are available at the Courthouse Information Booth located on the second floor of the Lane County Courthouse.

Denial of Waiver or Deferral Request:

If a request for waiver or deferral is denied, the filing fee must be paid to the court before the transcript on appeal will be filed.​